As far as LCGB is aware, these breastfeeding educational events are free from commercial sponsorship by companies associated with the baby feeding industry as stipulated in the WHO International Code of Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes.
To include your event in this list please note the charges are £30 and £75 for a series of study days. Acceptance of advertising for IBCLC training courses on the site does not constitute LCGB endorsement.
The Breastfeeding London Course is a set of 12 monthly Study days (90 hours of lactation specific education) that meets the IBCLE exam requirements. It is designed for health care providers and lay people who want to provide accurate, current and evidence-based information about breastfeeding and lactation to expectant/new families.
It is listed as a Course provider by the International Lactation Consultants Association. The content applies to best practice issues in the clinical setting; it includes didactic, practical clinical and counselling skills, as well as homework. Organised around small groups, the Study days are interactive and they enhance multiple kinaesthetic learning styles.
- Getting breastfeeding started with evidence-based care
- The science behind Skin-to-Skin Contact
- The diversity of positioning and attachment: left and right brain approaches
- The art of hand expression, ante-natal expression of colostrum and pumping protocols
- Benefits of breastfeeding (versus risks of Artificial Formula)
- Breastfeeding education for mothers/couples
- Prenatal breastfeeding risk assessment
- How birth practices affect breastfeeding
- Biochemistry of human milk: nutritional and immunological properties
- Anatomy and physiology of lactation
- Assessment of newborn latch, suck and milk transfer
- Challenging early feeds including flat/inverted nipples, downs syndrome, twins, and multiples
- Breast and nipple pain/trauma
- Engorgement, plugged ducts, mastitis, abscess, fungal and bacterial infections
- Insufficient milk supply and oversupply
- Communication and counselling skills
- Breast/nipple procedures/surgeries
- Premature and late preterm babies
- Scope of practice and ethics
- Ankyloglossia or Tongue Ties
- Politics of breastfeeding including the WHO Code
A comprehensive material pack plus a certificate of attendance will be issued; 7 individual education specific lactation hours can be granted upon request by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners.
All study days are held in the Wimbledon/Merton Park area, from 09.30-17.30. More information please contact:
DEBORAH ROBERTSON’S BREASTFEEDING SPECIALIST COURSE for:
- Health Professionals working with breastfeeding mothers and babies
- Infant Feeding Co-ordinator post holders
- Breastfeeding Counsellors updating skills and knowledge
- Candidates preparing for the IBLCE Lactation Consultant exam
- IBCLCs earning CERPS to recertify
ALMOST EVERYONE DOES THE WHOLE COURSE:
- 12 study days, one per month
- A linked graded homework each month
- Details of session topics and homework tasks at breastfeedingspecialist.com
- Priority to those booking the entire course
- Catch up any missed parts in subsequent year(s)
- Course approval by Lactation Education Accreditation and Approval Review Committee (LEAARC) , meaning approved as suitable for IBLCE exam candidates and awarded CERPS for IBCLCs.
- Generous concessions for those who self-fund
- Further discounts for unwaged breastfeeding volunteers
- Monthly pay-as-you-go option
CERTIFICATES FOR PROFESSIONAL STUDY:
- See breastfeedingspecialist.com for details of the number of hours/CERPs awarded for each day and homework that appear on certificates of attendance/completion.
- Those completing all 24 parts are awarded the 120 hour LEAARC Approved Breastfeeding Specialist Course diploma.
- Course scheduled so students complete the 90 hours required before IBCLE exam entry deadline.
- Study days combine lectures, games, videos, discussions, handouts, practical demonstrations, dramas, case studies and skills practice
- Clearly linking theory to everyday work with breastfeeding mothers and babies.
- There is variety and we have fun!
- Every study day and homework includes multiple choice questions to test recall and problem solving around that month’s topics, thus providing great practice for “The Exam.”
ENQUIRIES to DEBORAH: 01634 814275 or email@example.com
BOOKING FORM: at www.breastfeedingspecialist.com